Call (905) 553-3155 or email for more information
We help find solutions to the management of your child's health and well-being.
- AMAdolescent Medicine
- AAllergy & Immunology
- BBDBladder & Bowel Dysfunction
- PBrain & Mental Health
- EDCEating Disorders Clinic
- FSFrench Services
- GCPGeneral & Consulting Paediatrics
- HSHearing Screenings
- MTMassage Therapy
- OTOccupational Therapy
- SLPSpeech-Language Pathology
Breastfeeding & Lactation
Breastfeeding and Lactation Support
Breastfeeding offers benefits for both mother and baby. It is an effective and wonderful way for them to bond and care for one another. It also provides the right amount of nutrients in the early life of infants so they can grow and stay healthy.
Learning how to breastfeed is something that first-time caregivers and their infants do together with patience, effort, and a supportive community. Yet, unanticipated challenges can make the experience of breastfeeding stressful.
If you are having difficulty breastfeeding and/or have concerns about lactation, make an appointment with our International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
What is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant?
The purpose of any lactation consultation is to recognize and resolve problems that are linked with breastfeeding in a manner that is best suited for your family. The lactation consultant will listen to your problems, evaluate both you and your baby, and watch a feeding session to create a specialized care plan for you and your baby.
Why seek the support of a Lactation Consultant?
- Assistance with positioning, latching, and comfort during breastfeeding
- Review of infant feeding signals and behaviour, including fussiness, crying, and falling asleep at the breast
- Prevention and treatment of breast engorgement, nipple discomfort, and poor latch
- Identifying oral restrictions
- Guidance in increasing milk production
- Support with pumping and hand expression
- Recommendations when supplements have been advised or are required
- Suggestions for renting or buying breast pumps, nursing accessories, or baby necessities
- Reviewing how and when to wean your infant
An assessment/follow-up session may include but is not limited to:
- Discussion about the patient’s history
- Education on the patient’s condition and treatment options
- Goal Setting
- Bowel or bladder tracking
- Education on hydration and/or nutrition
- Feeding session/testing weight
Breastfeeding and lactation support services are delivered by a Registered Practical Nurse who is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. These services are not covered by OHIP but may be covered under your extended health insurance benefits. Check with your insurance provider for details.
Initial In-Person Lactation Consultation (Includes assessment, education and treatment):
- $150.00 + HST for 60 minutes
Follow-up In-Person Lactation Consultation:
- $125.00 + HST for 60 minutes
Telephone Lactation Consultation
- $50.00 + HST for 20 minutes
How to Book?
- Complete this INTAKE FORM or contact our clinic at 905-553-3155 ext. 221.
About Kids Health
For more information related to Breastfeeding and Lactation, visit the following page on AboutKidsHealth, SickKids’ trusted health education website for children, youth, and their caregivers: