Call (905) 553-3155 or email for more information
We help find solutions to the management of your child's health and well-being.
- BBDBladder and Bowel Dysfunction
- FSFrench Services
- GCPGeneral & Consulting Paediatrics
- HHearing Screenings
- MTMassage Therapy
- NPNeurodevelopmental Physiotherapy
- OTOccupational Therapy
- OSPOrthopaedic & Sports Physiotherapy
- OSOrthopaedic Surgery
- SLPSpeech-Language Pathology
Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine
Physician: Dr. John Philpott
What is Sports Medicine?
The practice of Sports Medicine involves the diagnosis, management and prevention of injuries and conditions related to sports, exercise and physical activity, performed by a Sports Medicine Physician. Sports Medicine Physicians are medical doctors that have completed an additional specialized fellowship in sports and exercise medicine. In order to assist with a diagnosis, a Sports Medicine Physician can order, discuss and interpret tests results (e.g.: Ultrasound, MRI, CT scan and X-rays). They work closely with the multidisciplinary team to promote and maximize the rehabilitation process. The Sports Medicine Physician can provide the athlete with recommendations on the most appropriate rehabilitation program and treatment approach, provide advice on sport-specific training, nutrition and exercise, prescribe bracing or medications, as well as individualized guidelines for return to sport. They have extensive knowledge in sport safety, specific injury guidelines (e.g. concussions) and associated recommendations.
Conditions We Assess/Treat
The Sports Medicine Physician performs assessments, diagnosis and recommendations for the following:
- Muscle, Ligament and Tendon Tear
- Ligament Sprains
- Injuries or Conditions to the Joints
- Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Neck, Mid and Low Back Injuries or Conditions
- Pre and Post-Surgery
- All Injuries, Conditions or Illnesses Related to Sports, Exercise and Physical Activity
At Boomerang Health, the Sports Medicine Physician and the physiotherapists work closely together throughout the rehabilitation process, from the onset of the injury to planning the return to activity and sport. Both professionals will collaborate as appropriate and assist the athlete in achieving their goals for successful recovery.
How to Book an Appointment
Please ask your child’s primary care doctor to send a referral request to Boomerang Health. We will then contact you to book an initial appointment. Your visit with our Sports Medicine Physician is covered under OHIP. Please ensure that you bring your health card to each visit.
Preparing for your Appointment
- Note that musculoskeletal/sports medicine assessments can take considerable time (1-2 hours), so please plan accordingly.
- Bring shorts/t-shirt or a bathing suit so that the area in question can be thoroughly assessed.
- Bring all consult reports, lab and imaging reports, and any documentation related to the referral.